1 сентября 2021

Which resorts were preferred by Tele2 clients this year – big data analytics

Moscow – Tele2, the alternative mobile operator, used big data to study the activity of clients flying to Russian resorts during the spring and summer seasons. Since the beginning of the holidays, travelers made 10 million minutes of voice calls and spent 374,000 Gb of data traffic at airports. In general, Russians have returned to travelling and compared to 2020, the number of ‘flying’ tourists grew by 57%.

Overall, from May to the end of August, Tele2 clients traveled to various Russian resorts from 80 different airports. Tele2 data scientists studied how active customers were before departure and immediately upon arrival to cities such as Sochi, Anapa, Gelendzhik, Krasnodar, Rostov-on-Don, Volgograd and Kaliningrad. Compared to 2020, the number of ‘flying’ tourists during the vacation period increased by 57%.

When located at airports, travelers made over 7.5 million calls with a total length of over 10 million minutes. They also downloaded 374,000 Gb of data through the Internet, which is 62% more than during the holiday period in 2020.

The most active months for air travel in 2021 were June and July. For comparison: in 2020, tourists were more likely to fly to Russian resorts in August, which was due to the easing of restrictions connected to the pandemic. The majority of Tele2 clients this year arrived to the airports of Sochi (33%), Krasnodar (24%) and Kaliningrad (20%).

A significant part of the travelers (39%) took off from one of the three Moscow airports, though only 47% of them were residents of the capital. The remaining 53% were clients from other regions, probably travelling from their home regions with a transfer through Moscow. The most popular destination for those flying from Moscow was Sochi, with Kaliningrad in the second place and Krasnodar in the third.

Travelers from St. Petersburg most often flew from the Pulkovo airport to Kaliningrad. The second and third positions in the list were occupied by Sochi and Gelendzhik.

The last of the top 3 cities was Yekaterinburg, with Sochi, Krasnodar and Gelendzhik as the most popular destinations.